UNIVERSITY OF MAINE
Title: Graduate/UMaineOnline Advisor
Department: Division of Lifelong Learning / UMaineOnline
Date: January, 2020
Reports To: Director of Online Student Services/UMaineGOLD Program Developer
Location: Work location can be on either the Orono or Portland campus of the University of Maine--determination at the time of hire. Regular travel between campuses will be required.
This position is a two-year fixed length position. The possibility exists that the position may become an ongoing position after year two, depending on successful outcomes for UMaineOnline.
PURPOSE: The Graduate/UMaineOnline Advisor is responsible for providing direct advising support service to students inquiring about and enrolled in online graduate programs at the University of Maine. The Advisor serves as the first point of contact for prospective UMaineOnline students from the point of inquiry to the completion of an online graduate program. The Advisor will respond to program inquiries via phone, video chat, email, and/or one-on-one advising appointments. They will also work in conjunction with the academic departments to provide unofficial transcript reviews, help potential students determine which program of study they would like to pursue, based on professional and educational goals, guide new students through the UMaine Admission process, ensure that new students understand online learning and what is required to succeed in an online environment, and serve as the primary point of contact for all other University-related questions. The Advisor will also be responsible for developing and monitoring CRM (customer relationship management) activity, in addition to tracking and reporting out on online program inquiries and enrollments. The Advisor will ensure that UMaineOnline students are supported in all aspects critical to their success and retention, including services related to orientation, registration, proactive interventions, assessment of learning, and degree planning. The Advisor serves as a proactive collaboration and coordination conduit between the academic department and UMaineOnline, maintaining daily contact with both areas, while representing the needs of online students. Work location can be on either the Orono or Portland campus of the University of Maine--determination at the time of hire. Regular travel between campuses will be required. Typical hiring range for this position is $40,000 to $47,000, commensurate with experience and
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responds to program inquiries via phone, email, video chat, and/or one-on-one advising appointments.
- Provides unofficial transcript reviews, helps potential students determine which program of study they would like to pursue, based on professional and educational goals, guides new students through the UMaine graduate admission process, ensures that new students understand online learning and what is required to succeed in an online environment, and serves as the primary point of contact for University-related questions.
- Engages with all prospective and enrolled online program students to ensure they are engaged and supported. Because students are not frequently (or ever) on campus, building a strong relationship with the Advisor is critical to the student’s success. Support will be realized through customized proactive communications from the Advisor in a variety of modalities.
- Conducts follow-up for active/inactive program participants to include: monitoring of retention, academic good standing, and progress towards graduation.
- Plans and delivers CRM strategies that encourage student application and retention.
- Understands tracking and reporting out for online program inquiries and matriculated students.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of databases and reports necessary to successfully track individuals from initial inquiry through graduation. Analyzes data to recommend the needs of their advisees in a proactive fashion.
- Develops, recommends and implements changes to processes and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Demonstrates knowledge about current UMaine programs and academic policies at UMaine. Serves as an advocate for prospective and matriculated students by facilitating interactions between UMaine offices on their behalf, as necessary.
- Advocates for and assists in the implementation of student academic services for online programs.
- Serves on departmental admissions and advising committees to aid communication and collaboration across divisions.
- Represents the University at student recruitment and tabling events.
- Performs professional advising for on-campus students, as needed.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement and implementation of comprehensive student services related to online education at UMaine by building and strengthening collaborative partnerships with other University departments.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
- Builds productive relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Utilizes coaching and mentoring methods that provide an environment that is anticipatory, supportive, and encourages constructive feedback on performance.
- Commits to organizational improvement by identifying opportunities to improve and recommends possible alternatives for a situation.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Online Student Services.
Knowledge & Skill Qualifications:
- Typically has the education associated with a Baccalaureate degree.
- Minimum of 3-5 years related experience, with a minimum of one year experience in enrollment, academic and/or career advising position; ideally, experience with online programs.
- Experience conducting research and evaluating information.
- Familiarity with CRM systems.
- Demonstrated effective organizational and interpersonal skills in independent and collaborative environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes high-stress environment.
- Master's degree in Counseling, Higher Education or Business.
- Experience as an Enrollment and/or Academic Advisor for students in online programs.
- Experience with direct and digital marketing.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Students and temporary employees, as needed.
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
PUBLIC AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES: Participates in professional organizations and associations, conferences and workshops, as appropriate.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS:
Internal: UMaineOnline team, Graduate School, Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid, Bursar’s Office, Office of Student Records; Maintains collaborative relationship with academic departments and works closely with faculty and faculty advisors within the online programs.
External: Administrators, faculty, and staff from within the University of Maine System and from other institutions in the State of Maine.
WORK YEAR: Full-time, fiscal year.
WORK SCHEDULE: Regular business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am- 4:30 pm. This position is exempt. Typically, expected to work 40 hours per week. Work outside of regular business hours will be required regularly.
POSITION TYPE: Two-year, fixed-length position.
SCHEDULE FOR EVALUATION: In Accordance with UMPSA Agreement.
JOB FAMILY/ SALARY GRADE: 03
Appropriate background checks are required.
For More Information & Application Instructions:
All UMS employees are required to comply with applicable policies and procedures, as well as to complete applicable workplace related screenings, and required employee trainings, such as Information Security, Safety Training, Workplace Violence, and Sexual Harassment.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location/Region: Orono, ME