Cumberland County Horticulture Professional
Salary Band/Wage Band:
Part-time position, 20 hours per week. Work schedule to be determined in consultation with supervisor. The person in this position supports the Master Gardener and home horticulture programming in Cumberland County. This position pays $14.30/hour.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Respond to home horticulture requests for information from clients via phone calls, email and office visits.
- Provide support to the Master Gardener Volunteers in Cumberland County including:
- Coordinate and keep track of Master Gardener Volunteer projects in conjunction with the Horticulture Professional.
- Initiate or assist in supporting new and current Master Gardener community projects.
- Provide ongoing communication with active county Master Gardener Volunteers.
- Assist with Master Gardener Volunteer annual re-enrollment in the program.
- Work with support staff to track hours for volunteer work performed by each Master Gardener Volunteer in Cumberland County.
- Work with support staff to keep Cumberland County Master Gardener Volunteer database and directory up to date.
- Produce and edit the monthly on-line newsletter and provide web and Facebook posts.
- Support and attend Master Gardener classes as appropriate.
- Support the work of the Cumberland County Master Garden Association Board of Directors:
- Attend monthly scheduled meetings on occasion
- Announce and assist with the annual Seed Grant applications
- Coordinate the Annual Meeting and Harvest Supper events
- Organize monthly Master Gardener Speaker Series offerings
- Organize all aspects of the Horticulture booth at the Cumberland County Fair
- Work with a committee of Master Gardener Volunteers to select a theme and design for the booth
- Recruit Master Gardener Volunteers to table at the booth throughout the week
- Coordinate with the Fair Director to ensure our participation and provide a list of volunteers who will be manning the booth
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Garden Angel program and support the facilitator.
- Contribute to statewide Home Horticulture initiatives as needed, such as the Maine Home Garden News
- Assist Horticulture Professional with developing and organizing horticulture programs as needed.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Three years’ experience in horticulture or related field.
- Completion of the Master Gardener Training preferred.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks.
- Proven skills in working well with a diverse population in a variety of settings.
- Ability to work independently.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Ability to travel in Maine and reliable transportation is required. Mileage is reimbursed at current University rate.
- Build productive working relationships with both internal and external co-workers/colleagues and external contacts/clients to achieve work goals.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
Appropriate background checks are required.
All UMS employees are required to comply with applicable policies and procedures, as well as to complete applicable workplace related screenings, and required employee trainings, such as Information Security, Safety Training, Workplace Violence and Sexual Harassment.
Materials must be submitted via "Apply for Position". You will need to create a profile and application; upload a cover letter and a resume/curriculum vitae which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications; and provide contact information for three professional references. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Fiscal Year (12 Months)
Cover Letter, Resume/CV