Position Title: Desktop Services Manager
Department: IT Tech Support Center - SITSUPORT
Bargaining Unit: UMPSA
Salary Band/Wage Band: 05
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Location: Portland, ME
Statement of the Job:
The University of Maine System is seeking to hire a Desktop Service Manger.
The work location is on the Portland campus of the University of Southern Maine.
The Desktop Support Manager is responsible for delivering exceptional desktop support by managing, evaluating, recruiting, hiring, and developing Desktop Support Technicians. The manager will interface directly with the technical staff and other managers and will be directly involved in resolving complex incidents and coordinating the communication of service status related to his/her area of responsibility. The Desktop Support Manager is a technical hands-on leader who is responsible for supporting daily operational needs and personnel management in support of US:IT’s desktop computing environment. He/she will provide desktop computing support including day-to-day troubleshooting; installation and configuration of hardware, software and networking technology; hardware and software recommendations and procurement assistance; regular hardware and/or software upgrades and maintenance. The managers also develops an effective and workable framework for managing and improving customer IT support in the Desktop Support organization; is responsible for ensuring the staff is meeting and exceeding expectations in regards to performance, meeting defined metrics/benchmarks, and that standards and processes are followed to provide effective customer service and meet requirements.
Complete Job Description
Based on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant, the salary range is mid $40's to $50,000 plus a 10% employer contribution to the UMS retirement plan. Additional benefits include medical, dental, vision, and tuition waiver programs for employees and dependents. The UMS is a recipient of the Wellness Councils of America’s Well Workplace Award and offers a wellness program.
Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration materials must be submitted by January 7, 2019. Applications received after that date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
About the University:
Established in 1968, the University of Maine System is the state’s largest educational enterprise. It has an annual enrollment of nearly 30,000 students and positively impacts the lives of hundreds of thousands of Mainers each year through its educational and cultural offerings as well as outreach and public service to individuals, businesses, organizations and policymakers. The System has an estimated $1.5 billion total statewide economy impact each year, a return of $7.50 for every dollar of State appropriation. Two-thirds of its alumni—approximately 120,000 people—live in Maine. The University of Maine System is accessible with seven universities—some with multiple campuses—located across the state, as well as a law school, an additional 31 course sites, and Cooperative Extension. The University of Maine System Chancellor’s office is located in Estabrooke Hall on the University of Maine campus in Orono. System-wide services and governance employees work from campuses across the state.
University of Southern Maine
The University of Southern Maine, northern New England’s outstanding public, regional, comprehensive university, is dedicated to providing its diverse student body of more than 7,500 students from forty states and thirty foreign countries with a high-quality, accessible, affordable education. Through its undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, USM faculty members educate future leaders in the liberal arts and sciences, engineering and technology, health and social services, education, business, law, and public service. Located on three campuses in Gorham, Portland, and Lewiston-Auburn, USM is known as Maine’s Metropolitan University and serves communities that are among the largest population centers in the state.
- Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- At least three years' experience with managing (hiring, coaching, performance management), supervising and training a group of employees.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse and distributed organization; flexible in adapting to clients' changing needs.
- Experience developing and managing both technical and non-technical processes and procedures in a complex support environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, plan, and support a functionally organized, technically oriented environment, with staff working on a wide variety of technical activities.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment in managing a diverse technical staff.
- Generalist knowledge in various IT areas, such as networking, desktop support, and security, and methods used in those areas.
- Knowledge of best practices in delivering IT support and professional consulting services.
- Experience with help desk ticketing systems.
- Ability to plan effectively and to manage/supervise projects and work queues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical users.
- Understanding of relevant technical knowledge and problem resolution.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Prior experience in an academic environment.
- Prior experience with data security issues and best practices.
- Strong customer relationship skills, consensus building skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Ability to motivate and mentor staff.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
Materials must be submitted via "Apply Now" button above.
You will need to create a profile and application (which includes contact information for 3 references); upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
The University of Maine System is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Length: Fiscal Year (12 Months)
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Location/Region: Portland, ME