The Job Duties of a Journeyman Pressman include all areas of the Pressroom and Platemaking department. A competent Journeyman can complete any given task in a safe and efficient manner to ensure deadlines are met and quality standards are satisfied. DGM 850, Goss Urbanite, Goss Community offset, or similar equipment experience required.
- Prepares and operates press equipment including but not limited to all equipment used to produce MTM products. Areas of competency include, but are not limited to:
- Performing all function required to Prep rolls of paper for the night.
- Performing all functions required in the operation of the pasters
- Performing all functions to of setting all rollers in press.
- Performing standard maintenance on all press equipment.
- Performing all functions to work on the press, folders and press controls.
- Keeps pressroom and plate room areas clean and free of debris.
- Keep equipment cleaned and well maintained to manufacturer’s specification; works closely with Plant Maintenance as necessary to achieve these goals.
- Complete work as prioritized to meet deadlines.
- Ensures all printed product meet quality standards for newspaper production.
- Communicates with colleagues, customers and vendors in a courteous and professional manner.
- Understand and promotes safety procedures including LOTO and Hazard Communication.
MTMA employees are held accountable to four core values. These values will set the baseline standards for individual job performance, as it relates to the essential functions and competencies of the position.
- Excellence in work -Demonstrates commitment to performing work at the highest standards.
- Embraces innovation-Embraces change and demonstrates dedication to continuous improvement to drive business results.
- Exceeds customer expectations –Demonstrates the highest possible customer service (both internal and external).
- Collaborates as a team member –Recognizes that all departments contribute to the goals of the organization.
- Technical skills including:
- Completion of apprenticeship overseen by the apprentice committee.
- Completion of online correspondence course.
- Proficiency with pressroom and plate room systems.
- Takes initiative.
- Responsive and follows tasks through to completion.
- Team player and collaborator.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong technical troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma/GED required, with a strong mechanical background.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
This is a physically demanding job requiring lengthy time standing, bending, stretching, lifting pushing and climbing. Should be able to occasionally lift 100 lbs. in a team lift setting, and 25-50 lbs. regularly. Pushing of rolls of paper of 2000 lbs. regularly. Must pass pre-placement post offer screening demonstrating the ability to lift up to 40 pounds and negotiate multiple stairs.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change during the course of employment and as the business needs change.
MTM is an EEO employer
Location/Region: South Portland, ME