The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce
is searching for its next
The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce represents nearly 500 independent businesses and is dedicated to creating and maintaining a thriving economic environment for Bar Harbor and the Mount Desert Island region. The Chamber currently has a full-time staff of four people and a seasonal staff of nine who assist more than 200,000 visitors at two welcome centers and an information kiosk. The Chamber produces and distributes approximately 200,000 visitor guidebooks annually through trade shows, mailings, and information centers. The Chamber’s website receives 225,000 users and 1 million page views annually, and social media reaches 50,000 followers each year. The Chamber organizes many community events including Bar Harbor’s famous 4th of July celebration and the Early Bird Pajama Sale and Bed Races. The Chamber strives to inform its members about local, state, and federal issues and to represent them through legislative affairs, participation in committees of interest, and partnerships. The Board of Directors adopted a 3-year strategic plan in 2018, and the organization’s annual budget is approximately $965,000, which covers all operational and marketing expenses.
Duties of the Executive Director:
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all Chamber operations including member recruitment and retention, visitor services, marketing and promotion, government affairs, media engagement, financial management, community relations, partnership development, and Board relations. Specifically, the Executive Director must:
1. Inspire and empower staff to perform their job duties effectively and efficiently individually and as a team. Annually review and adjust job descriptions where necessary, set workplans and goals, and conduct staff evaluations.
2. Develop and retain a strong membership by visiting members, listening to their needs, sharing Chamber programs and statistics, developing positive member benefits, and being a visible contributor to the local community. Identify and contact non-members to encourage them to join.
3. Work in conjunction with staff and the Finance Committee to develop an annual operating budget and manage its status, develop clear appropriate and required financial reports, and recommend financial adjustments where necessary.
4. Develop and execute with staff and partners a marketing plan to position Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island as a premier destination offering outstanding scenery, diverse recreational experiences, and small New England charm. Consider emerging marketing trends and innovations to determine appropriateness for Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island.
5. Stay apprised of local, state, and federal issues of interest, working in conjunction with the Board of Directors to communicate Chamber positions and educate members about actions they can take.
6. Serve as the Chamber’s chief media contact, representing the Chamber in television, radio, social media, and print interviews.
7. Maintain positive relationships with Acadia National Park, the Town of Bar Harbor, local residents, the Maine Congressional delegation, state legislators, state tourism and business organizations and agencies, and others.
8. Consider and implement training opportunities to strengthen board and staff competencies and engagement. Work with the Board and Committee Chairs to maximize preparation for meetings, effectively use meeting time, and ensure follow-up and documentation of decisions.
9. Help plan, participate in, and manage Chamber events throughout the year.
10. Implement, document progress, and evaluate the Chamber’s strategic plan with staff, board, and volunteers.
11. Execute other responsibilities that arise from directing a responsive organization in a dynamic environment.
Desired Skills/Qualifications for the Job:
• General Knowledge of Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, and Mount Desert Island.
• 5 years experience in managing/supervising staff and encouraging positive team environments.
• Demonstrated budgeting and financial management skills.
• Critical thinking and fearless examination of problems and opportunities.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and attend to details while also evaluating project outcomes .
• Experience working with a diverse group of constituencies and developing consensus or achieving equilibrium among them.
• Exceptional public relations skills, including active listening, civility, media relations, public speaking, and written communication.
• Knowledge of tourism trends and emerging associated technologies.
• Demonstrated knowledge of sales and marketing strategies.
• Experience managing or participating on a board of directors.
• Strong familiarity with Quickbooks and the Microsoft Office suite of programs, and willingness to learn industry-specific programs, such as Chamber Master.
• Sense of humor and positive approach to problem-solving.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• Willingness to work evenings, early mornings, holidays, and weekends as needed.
• Willingness to use personal automobile for work-related travel with mileage reimbursement for out-of-county travel.
Competitive salary for this year-round position with full benefits including health insurance.
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and salary requirements
via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2019.
Location/Region: Bar Harbor, ME